Friday, July 2, 2010

Wrap dancing

Thanks to Leonie from Ragland Guld and her lovely tutorial I have made myself a wrap skirt. It has turned out fabulously.


Fabric was an op-shopped kind of brushed cotton in a riot of oranges, pinks and purples. I lined it with plain red cotton, nothing else was going to contrast well with that floral.

I kept the original width from the tutorial, but made a few other fiddly modifications. I rounded the lower corners.



And added a back bow tie with shop bought bias binding (25mm) that I folded in half and top stitched to create two ties, and then just sewed these into the side seams, hard up against the top edge of the skirt. You have to drop the ties down between the skirt and the lining when you are sewing it all together. I think you know what I mean here. The ties are each 40cm long, in case you were wondering.


When I bought this fabric about two years ago I never imagined that I would end up wearing it!

7 comments:

Kylie said...

Looks fabulous! I love Leonie's tutorials and this skirt is on my list to make too - very cute :) K

Cathie said...

looks great! I saw it at Leonies and have been thinking about giving it a try, now that I see how amazing it looks I definitely think i need to have a try.

Yana said...

the skirt looks lovely and the bow tie idea is great. beautiful print, reminds me of summer :)

mel @ loved handmade said...

How clever you are! It's really gorgeous.

Leonie Guld said...

HOW FANTASTIC!!! I love it how you kept the original width. It looks brilliant and soft. The tie is a super touch. Congratulations to you!!! x

Kate said...

Love it! It looks fabulous.

yardage girl said...

Most excellent skirt - perfect for a burst of colour in winter!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin