Thursday, June 23, 2011

Quick fix maternity wear


At the moment I am attempting a sewing project for myself.  I don't really know why actually - being six months pregnant means any sewing project comes with severe difficulties in the fitting department and the cold weather is not exactly conducive to wearing what I am making.  Never the less I am forging on ahead mainly because having something new in my wardrobe is a very attractive proposition right now.

Cue one black maternity skirt I kept from my last pregnancy - I really only bought it because of the woollen floral embroidery around the lower edge.  I really do hate the style though, its got little pleats around it that make it kind of full and boofy. Having wide shoulders (by nature) and ample bosom/large stomach (at the moment) I already feel big enough on my top half, I don't need a full style skirt making me look bigger around my lower half than necessary.  I'm an A-line girl, I'm going to make an A-line maternity skirt out of a piece of black and white Ikea fabric. 


And I'm going to use this length of vintage bias binding to hem it. Yes I am.

I've ripped off the cotton rib waistband from the old skirt, I've measured and measured again my "waist", some of my existing skirts and the old maternity skirt...and I'm just going to take the plunge, cut it out, sew the sides and put the elastic waist band on and hem it.  Sewing on the edge here today!  I figure if it doesn't fit I can wear it post-pregnancy.  Thats how I figure, anyway.

5 comments:

spectacularfairywren said...

'yes i am' - too funny....

Yana said...

great project to undertake! i hope it works out and you will proudly wear it around :) lovely fabric too :)

Amanda said...

LOL I have some vintage bias binding still in the packet not as pretty as yours though. Can't wait to see the finished skirt.

Bungalowgirl said...

Love the vinage bias binding and your entire concept. Especially like how you are thinking on the fly and making it all up as you go( a woman after my own heart) Can't wait to see the outcome. melx

Mia said...

Hi there! Just wanted to say I really liked your brooch for the brooch swap! Nice blog too :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin