Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Practice dress


Today I finished my practice run of dress A from the Stylish Dress Book.  I made a size 12 and it fits beautifully at the neck, I love the neckline and the gathering, the armholes are just the perfect size, and overall it's wide enough for my bust size and broad shoulders...


...but I haven't even hemmed it yet and it's too short for my liking - I'm usually a 'just below the knee' kind of girl.  I added the recommended 3.5cm of hem allowance to the pattern I traced from the book and it's still not long enough, looks like I might have to carefully watch the length of garments I make from this book, at least that's an easy thing to fix.


My options from here are to add a strip of contrasting fabric to the hem to add length, or to chop it off in a more tunic length top.  It could also do with some waist ties, or a belt, or narrowing the seam at the waist, something to bring it in a bit, I'm not really used to such a baggy style, but it's growing on me.  I'm not really a dress wearer, but while I was wearing this one around today it was rather deliciously cool, cooler than the t-shirt and skirt I was wearing for most of the day.  Girls that wear dresses might just be onto something...

4 comments:

yardage girl said...

I like Dress A too, but haven't made it. What about a strip of the same fabric on the bottom, but with a very fine contrasting line of fabric in between (like piping but without the chord) - if that makes sense!!

Steph said...

Oh I love it! And I agree with yardage girl...that would look really lovely. I have that book too and am dying to make something in it. Thanks so much for your lovely comment...I think you're spot on with the feeding! Such a lovely space you have here...off to have make a cup of tea and have a good look around. Wishing you a wonderful rest of your week :) x

CurlyPops said...

I bought that book a little while ago, but I was really worried about the sizing, so it's been sitting in my bookshelf ever since.
I really like that style - how about adding some belt loops and a tie, and a contrast band all in the same fabric to make it match?

Sally said...

It looks great. Maybe just do a very small hem and wear as is... it looks great!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin